MVEC and Safe Electricity remind farmers that accidents related to power and electricity are also possible but in most cases they can be prevented. Especially during the busy harvest and planting seasons, take the following steps to decrease the chances of an electrical-related incident:
- Always use a spotter when operating large machinery near lines.
- Use care when raising augers or the bed of grain trucks around power lines.
- Keep equipment at least 10 feet from lines at all times, in all directions.
- Inspect the height of the farm equipment to determine clearance.
- Always lower extensions to the lowest setting when moving loads.
- Never attempt to move a power line out of the way or raise it for clearance.
- If a power line is sagging or low, call us right away. 800-927-6068
- If your equipment does hit a power line, do not leave the cab. Immediately call 9-1-1, warn others to stay away, and wait for the utility crew to cut the power.